[olug] LVM and RAID Was: To RAID or not to RAID

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Mon Sep 22 20:43:59 CDT 2014

On 09/22/2014 08:40 PM, Dan Linder wrote:
> Is it possible to setup LVM with MDADM to setup a RAID at the hardware
> level that doesn't have to be rebuilt when I purchase another HDD?

You can layer LVM on top of mdadm, which would allow you to concatenate
another drive onto the end of your RAID5.  The new drive would not be
redundant, which means that if it died, your entire filesystem would be
toast.  It would also have slower access times than the original RAID array.

--
*Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth* obiwan at jedi.com <mailto:obiwan at jedi.com>
www.Jedi.com <http://www.jedi.com>