[olug] Bash Bug Info

Matthew G. Marsh olug4mgm at paktronix.com
Thu Oct 2 09:36:25 CDT 2014

The easiest route is to unpack the original SRPM to obtain the original
bash tarball and then go to the GNU site and grab all the patches. If as
you apply the patches you get the "previously applied patch" message just
say no. Then compile and install.

Done that for years for a RH system (knock on wood - still) running on
alpha.

The reason for using the original SRPM tarball is it often has the
"appropriate" compile and related options for the RH system in question.
The patching is manual but rarely screws up an SRPM compile...

mgm

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014, Dan Linder wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 9:15 PM, Shawn L. Djernes <shawn at djernes.org> wrote:
>
>> Why can't the be upgraded?
>

> Compatibility with an ancient but critical piece of software.  I *am*
> looking at options (re-install on later version to see if it will work for
> our needs) - on of those tasks to get done in one of those windows of
> "copious free time".  :)
>
> Dan
>
> --
> ***************** ************* *********** ******* ***** *** **
> "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
>    (Who can watch the watchmen?)
>    -- from the Satires of Juvenal
> "I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them."
>    -- Isaac Asimov (Author)

Matthew G. Marsh, JD NSA CISA CISSP
Special Email Addr for OLUG ;-}
Phone: (402) 932-7250