[olug] Network performance analysis

Hurley, Rod RHurley at TENASKA.com
Thu Nov 20 14:32:54 CST 2014

Not to mention more "modern" issues:

Application bugs, patches, code, etc
Java, Citrix, Juniper (and other browser plugins)
O/S issues (especially Micro$oft patch weeks)

We've had complaints lately too, and most have shown up as a bad patch (MS released a fix this week), application conflicts with Java versions, or bad nic drivers.

So basically, we have made it more confusing for you, but didn't want you to automatically assume that "network" issues are only in the network itself.

Rod

-----Original Message-----
From: olug-bounces at olug.org [mailto:olug-bounces at olug.org] On Behalf Of Rob Townley
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2014 2:22 PM
To: Omaha Linux User Group
Subject: Re: [olug] Network performance analysis

Bill,

i feel your pain.

Keep in mind "slowness" can be caused at many layers of the network.

-physical tests to verify Cat6 compliance from (PC) patch cable to wall plate thru cable run back to patch panel thru another patch cable ( network switch).  This could be an electrician with a ~$2500.00? Cat6 tester.  $per wall plate

-firmware on NIC / motherboard

-device driver version

-10Mbps half-duplex vs 1000Mbps FullDuplex

-switch

-vPro / IPMI

-IPv6 vs IPv4 issues

-DNS slowness or timing out