[olug] OTish - What is the best WiFi access point

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Thu May 29 12:20:34 CDT 2014

On 05/29/2014 11:23 AM, Aric Aasgaard wrote:
> So far I have had a good experience using Asus routers in access point mode.
> Doesn't anyone have a better suggestion?
>
> Is there an access point that performs better than the Asus RT-AC68U
>
> or
>
> has the same performance and durability as the Asus RT-AC68U and costs less
> due to it not needing router functionality?

A friend of mine speaks very highly of the Asus RT-N66 and RT-N12
models.  I've not tried them myself, but I may go that route when I
build my new, larger house this winter.

My current Netgear N300 is pathetic.  Poor range, and in the default
configuration, it doesn't play nice with Nexus mobile devices. Turning
off the QoS on the N300 helps.  You can read more here:
http://tech.PrairieRim.com/2014/05/nexus-devices-dont-play-nice-with.html

I think any dedicated AP-only models (no router) are probably going to
be MORE expensive than the combo units because only industrial uses buy
them, so they're built a little tougher.

--
*Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth* obiwan at jedi.com <mailto:obiwan at jedi.com>
www.Jedi.com <http://www.jedi.com>