[olug] "cstaging" WLAN APs in Omaha metro - WISP?

Tony Gies tony.gies at gruppe86.net
Sun May 25 16:19:07 CDT 2014

That's the first thing I thought of too. The existing Cox customer
courtesy APs are clustered around Cox retail locations and a few
retail partners and run the ESSID "CoxWiFi" or "CableWifi". Looking at
WiGLE now, I see several new CoxWiFi stations were first observed
around the time the cstaging ones started to light up, and they also
have the same 1C:1D:86 OUI prefix. So that seems like the likely
story.

It looks like these are pretty dense on the ground in most populated
areas. This means Cox is either putting the stations inside their
amplifier doghouses and wherever else they can, or perhaps they're
running them off of customer equipment (those nice dual-band gateways
they rent out)?

Tony Gies <tony.gies at gruppe86.net>
Technical Projects Director
gruppe86 | IT Consulting, Software Development, Systems Integration