[olug] Are you using a Foscam?

Tony Gies tony.gies at gruppe86.net
Thu May 8 18:57:26 CDT 2014

Obligatory reminder never to put little black box gizmos with built in
web servers on your network and exposed to the Internet without some
kind of access control beyond whatever half-ass HTTP Basic Auth
gateway they built in with backdoor passwords and no rate limiting.

Easy ways to do this:
- Put your Internet of Poorly Specified Things in some kind of
isolated network and VPN to it
- Set up nginx or similar to act as a reverse proxy to the web
interface -- in doing this, you can require additional authentication
(I like x509 client certificates and TOTP codes myself), wrap TLS
around things that don't have it built in, mitigate common exploits
with policies on the web server, etc.

Tony Gies <tony.gies at gruppe86.net>
Technical Projects Director
gruppe86 | IT Consulting, Software Development, Systems Integration