[olug] OT: Learning Colemak

unfy olug at unfy.org
Sat May 3 18:37:54 UTC 2014

On 5/1/2014 8:57 AM, Tim Larson wrote:

> How difficult is it to switch the OS from one mapping to the other?

http://colemak.com/wiki/index.php?title=Download

Windows seems to be real easy.  In particular:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=213088&package_id=264387

I think it's an AutoHotKey script compiled to EXE.  EzPz.

Otherwise, there are registry hacks, or possibly make use of the
multi-language switcher that comes on XP or newer to natively switch the
layout.  I'm still using the EXE since am still switching back and forth.

Linux can be.... grrr.  Some distro's remove keyboard layout stuff from
the graphical screen.  It also might require root privs ... which is
just how linux treats  key mapping in general.  But - fully supported.

Day Five.

Morning 3min typing tests (on new keyboard):
Qwerty: 94wpm / 96% accuracy
Colemak: 23wpm / 90% accuracy

Current hated letters: D, G, L and ;

Unlearning the coder & SQL semicolon-enter bi-braph will take a while.

-Will

(and yes, this was typed in Colemak)