[olug] ChromeBook C720s - Refurb on Amazon for $150.00/SeaBios

Aaron Grothe ajgrothe at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 04:08:43 UTC 2014

Hey Guys,

Don't know if anybody else saw this.  ACER is selling refurb'd Chromebook C720s through their Amazon store for $150.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJD3QTC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While I've got a C7 (earlier model) I'm pretty happy with this is the later model with the Haswell processor which increases battery life a whole lot.  It is also supposed to give you the option to use the SeaBIOS (Open Source Bios) instead of just booting with ACER's firmware.  This version does have the small SSD 16gb and only 2gb of Ram though.

I've ordered one and hopefully it will be here in a couple of days.

What I'm curious is has anybody tried to go totally Open Source on one of these.  By this I'm wondering how well one of these works with one of the FSF approved GNU/Linux distros such as Ulteo or Gnewsense?  Until we can buy an OpenRisc processor this might be as free a laptop as we're going to get.  When I get mine I'll probably give it a spin, not sure if the wifi card will work with gnewsense, but I'm interested to try.

Regards,

Aaron
0-0-0
"The Journey is the Reward" - Old Zen Buddhist Saying