[olug] Centurylink "Gigabit" my ass....

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Fri Jun 20 19:49:09 CDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Jake Churchill <reynacho at gmail.com> wrote:

> My pc is hard-jacked to their modem right now because I don't have a fast
> enough router.   I was told by their rep that *if I turned my firewall
> off*
> speeds might even increase but I haven't been that brave yet.

Wow, that's a really BAD suggestion!  I hope you never do that, even for a
short test!

But, Gbit speeds are going to start showing us which home and SOHO
firewall/router vendors that use the cheapest CPU and chips in their
products.

Or, conversely it will show us bleeding-edge-home-users that we have to
actually pony up and buy more business oriented equipment if we're truly
wanting to push GB speeds.  (Assuming the providers modem can handle it in
the first place!)

I'm confident that the market will improve and the "home" routers will
become faster and SOHO class routers will come down in price, but for now
it'll be a mixed bag of results.

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"