[olug] Centurylink "Gigabit" my ass....

Jake Churchill reynacho at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 09:57:53 CDT 2014

Just saw this thread and while I don't understand a lot of the technical
networking talk I did just switch to CLink fiber in West Omaha  (132nd and
Blondo area) a couple weeks ago.

I don't get the full gig but at their test site I routinely get  between
550-750Mbps down  and usually even higher up.   It's gone up to 930-950 up
a couple times.   Of course the public speed tests don't register the same
but I have been told they aren't set up for that kind of traffic yet.
Even so I usually get around 300-350 down and up ranges depending on the
site.

My pc is hard-jacked to their modem right now because I don't have a fast
enough router.   I was told by their rep that if I turned my firewall off
speeds might even increase but I haven't been that brave yet.

One thing to note, I use VMware for servers for day to day work and I
notice the speed tests slow down and those are running.  Not sure why.

-Jake