[olug] Centurylink "Gigabit" my ass....

Brian Roberson roberson at bstc.net
Mon Jun 16 20:53:54 CDT 2014

So I finally bit the bullet and signed up for gigabit CL service to test the waters since I haven’t heard a peep from anyone’s feedback regarding it. I made sure I was setup on a month-month contract just in case it was bs.. not impressed so far, the tech was cool enough, and tried his best to contact the right people, but for whatever reason I was only getting 150Mbps down / 50 Up… clearly a cap somewhere, duh!

Anyways, the technical details for the geeks: its GPON, one fiber, and a passive splitter on the wall. the goofy part, they make you use “their” modem, a zyxel fx1000r and it’s setup for pppoe! I took 5 minutes trying to figure out how to just plug it right into my pfsense, but I think they are setup for 802.1q tagging like on vdsl, and I don’t have the right laptop to troubleshoot what vlan it needs to be, maybe I’ll throw wireshark on this one just to probe around.

In any event, after being on the phone with support, and almost throwing my phone at the wall, I reminded myself thats why I signed up month-month… It’s now up to 200~Mb down, but still not symmetrical. I’ll give them a day or three to “finish the provisioning” before I raise a stink.

anyone else have CL gig in west omaha? care to share your trials?