[olug] Using Ubuntu 14.04 to share a folder between Windows machines on different networks

Joseph Gulizia joseph.gulizia at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 20:07:48 CDT 2014

Work plans on using Ubuntu 14.04 to share a folder between Windows machines
on two different networks.  In my limited research I found that you should
give Ubuntu a Global IP address which it appears I can ping from the
outside.

Ubuntu states it has a server application called vino.

Also I downloaded and installed a tightVNC java applet which also installed
tightVNC.

An older linux book (Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide 2010 or so)
suggests samba

As this is the first time I'm consulting on the linux server issue..what
are your thoughts?

A little more information:

The windows boxes will be running Windows 7 and will be putting multimedia
in the folder and another user will pull them down and possibly edit them
and then need to put them back up.

Here are machine specs:

Ubuntu 14.04
DEVICE-NAME:  PROD-SHARE

Memory:  2.0 GiB
Processor:  Intel Atom CPU 230 @ 1.60 GHz x 2
Graphics:  Intel 945G x86/MMX/SSE2
OS Type:  32 bit
Disk:  243.9 GB

Windows 7 Home Premium
DEVICE-NAME:  35-PC

Processor:  AMD(FX)  8120 Eight Core Processor  3.10 GHz
Memory:  16 GB
OS Type:  64 bit

Most boxes accessing would be using Windows 7 Pro

Thanks in advance.

Joe