[olug] Cox Speed Increase

Jason N dashrender at cox.net
Wed Jul 9 12:57:41 CDT 2014

Here's another utility that will help you find possible faster DNS servers to use.

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

---- Aric Aasgaard <aric at omahax.com> wrote:
I was temporarily using Googles public DNS when I noticed the hijack.  It
didn't notice the Cox redirected search page when the wrong url is entered
thing....or whatever you call it, I would call it a custom 404 but that
isn't really what it is because it isn't a webserver response.
.......but my queries ended up going to 92.242.140.2.

What I believe may have happened is Snort blocked 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and it
switched to Cox's DNS somehow.  I originally thought they were doing
protocol or port based DNS hijacking, I don't think they are, if they were
the opt out seems to have corrected it.

Thanks for the tool T.J.!
Here is the graph of my benchmark.
I am using the Cox DHCP provided servers with pfSense's  dnsmasq DNS
forwarder.  It seems to be the fastest.
68.105.28.13
68.105.29.13
68.105.28.14
68.105.29.14
http://omahax.com/img/dnsbench.png

I used OpenDNS for a bit years ago but switched because it was noticeably
slower.
As far a privacy goes, it might be best just to use Cox's DNS since they
already know where you are going, unless you are using TOR or something.