[olug] Tiny rack-mount chassis

Aric aric at omahax.com
Fri Jan 10 22:46:13 UTC 2014

I have a spare 1st-gen Compaq DL360 server with Tualatins and atleast a GB
of RAM and or a couple small 10 or 15k SCSI drives I can give you if you
want to just stick with what you have.

I used a DL360 as a pfSense router for several years until I switched to a
dual Sossaman xeon system because I have higher that 100Mbit internet now.

> If you really want to do it up, run a SBC or an intel NUC.   My firewall,
> dns, (monowall) has been running on an SBC for 7+ years.  Not fast enough
> to do proxying but the i3 nucs I have running mythbox definitely are fast
> enough.  http://soekris.com/ 4501/4801 is what I am running (not sure of
> the exact model).   I've run them in customer sites with great success.
>
> As for dual drives, I just keep a second sdcard flashed.  (knocks on wood)
> Haven't had to replace an sdcard yet.
>

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:
>
>> The DL360 I'm replacing has all those features and is only 1U... and it
>> was designed a dozen years ago. Surely progress has been made.
>>
>> I can live without the dual power supplies if necessary.
>>

>> On 01/10/2014 03:43 PM, Hurley, Rod wrote:
>>
>>> Not sure exactly what "way smaller" is, but you won't find anything you
>>> like that's less than 2u with redundant power supplies and fans and
>>> more
>>> than 1 drive.  If you are intent on building your own, check out this
>>> site:
>>>  http://www.spectrumservers.com/ssproducts/pc/viewPrd.asp?
>>> idcategory=41&idproduct=220
>>>
>>> -Rod

>>> case).  I'd also like the chassis to be quite small so that it can hang