[olug] Tiny rack-mount chassis

Hurley, Rod RHurley at TENASKA.com
Fri Jan 10 21:43:36 UTC 2014

Not sure exactly what "way smaller" is, but you won't find anything you like that's less than 2u with redundant power supplies and fans and more than 1 drive.  If you are intent on building your own, check out this site:  http://www.spectrumservers.com/ssproducts/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=41&idproduct=220

-Rod

-----Original Message-----
From: olug-bounces at olug.org [mailto:olug-bounces at olug.org] On Behalf Of Obi-Wan
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2014 3:32 PM
To: Omaha Linux Users Group
Subject: [olug] Tiny rack-mount chassis

My 1st-gen HP DL360 server (Sam knows about this) that I'm using for my home firewall is starting to get a little long in the tooth.  It still runs perfectly, but it lost one of the mirrored drives this morning, and I plugged in my last spare.  The build date on that drive was 2001.
Replacement drives are cost prohibitive, so I'll be replacing the entire chassis before I lose my last drives.

This server runs PPPoE to terminate my DSL connection, iptables firewall, mail server, incoming web/SSL proxy, DNS, and DHCP servers.
It's a pretty light load, and even for that ancient box. I certainly don't need much horsepower for this box.  I do want extreme reliability.  Mirrored drives are a must, and dual power supplies might be nice.  Dual cooling fans are probably wise.  None of that needs to be hot-swap, though.  I need two ethernet ports (preferably GigE, and 3 would be nice just in case).  I'd also like the chassis to be quite small so that it can hang in a telco rack when I move next year.  I'd like it to be really low power so that it'll run forever off my UPS when necessary.

Any suggestions on the hardware and/or case I should use for this? I'm usually shopping at the other end of the horsepower spectrum. There's got to be chassis out there that are way smaller than the standard rack-mount server, but can still run a standard linux distro with some redundancy.

--
*Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth* obiwan at jedi.com <mailto:obiwan at jedi.com>
www.Jedi.com <http://www.jedi.com>