[olug] Secure Boot / UEFI dual boot

Hurley, Rod RHurley at TENASKA.com
Mon Jan 6 22:25:41 UTC 2014

OK, so I literally laughed out loud on this one.  How do you do ANYTHING to a computer without horking Windows?

I have done this once, with Ubuntu and Windows 8.0.  Worked ok.  Here's some info I used to help out:

Choose a Linux Distribution That Supports Secure Boot: Modern versions of Ubuntu - starting with Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS and 12.10 - will boot and install normally on most PCs with Secure Boot enabled. This is because Ubuntu's first-stage EFI boot loader is signed by Microsoft. However, a Ubuntu developer notes that Ubuntu's boot loader isn't signed with a key that's required by Microsoft's certification process, but simply a key Microsoft says is "recommended." This means that Ubuntu may not boot on all UEFI PCs. Users may have to disable Secure Boot to use Ubuntu on some PCs.

Disable Secure Boot: Secure Boot can be disabled, which will exchange its security benefits for the ability to have your PC boot anything, just as older PCs with the traditional BIOS do. This is also necessary if you want to install an older version of Windows that wasn't developed with Secure Boot in mind, such as Windows 7.  Press and hold the shift key as you click restart on Windows and it will open the advanced boot options screen.  Then click Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > UEFI Settings.  (Some computers do NOT offer UEFI settings, not sure which ones really, just depends.  Samsung PC owners DO NOT try booting Linux, it will "partial" brick your pc.)

Add a Signing Key to the UEFI Firmware: Some Linux distributions may sign their boot loaders with their own key, which you can add to your UEFI firmware. This doesn't seem to be a common at the moment.

Rod

-----Original Message-----
From: olug-bounces at olug.org [mailto:olug-bounces at olug.org] On Behalf Of Adam Haeder
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2014 4:09 PM
To: Omaha Linux User Group
Subject: Re: [olug] Fwd: Posting to the OLUG

I think this would be a great topic. I'd be particularly interested in this
scenario: you just bought a brand new HP (or whatever) PC from NFM, and it comes with Win 8.1, EFI and SecureBoot. How to you successfully repartition and install Linux in a dual boot scenario without horking Windows?

Adam Haeder
adam at adamhaeder.com

Check out my latest book: LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell from
O'Reilly: http://bit.ly/bvQQ0I