[olug] [OT] Mini PXE Machines

Tony Gies tony.gies at gruppe86.net
Tue Feb 4 22:56:34 UTC 2014

The NUC is a good choice if you want a "serious" processor and are willing
to pay for it. I think the most basic model runs about $250 before RAM.

I would look at the "nettop" segment of products as well. I have a Foxconn
nt-330bi I got a few years ago that I run Kubuntu 13.04 and XBMC on for
movies and game console emulators and stuff. It can boot off USB, SD, or
PXE, fixed disk optional. It has what was at the time the top-of-the-line
Atom CPU and an nVidia ION GPU with a hardware MPEG decoder (it plays 1080p
h.264 video with essentially no CPU load). I paid about $120 for it at the
time, plus RAM.