[olug] 2015 is almost here. What are your plans?

unfy olug at unfy.org
Fri Dec 26 18:44:40 CST 2014

On 12/26/2014 5:26 PM, Aric Aasgaard wrote:
> One thing I like about the meeting presentations is that everybody does things differently, so it doesn't really matter to me how simple the presentation might be, you will see how other people do it.  I have noticed as I and other people get older they tend to do things how the had always done them in the past.  I have sort of a phobia of this so I am always trying to figure out better ways of doing things and it is very helpful for me to see how other people do it.

There are some cases when the phobia is warranted.

Take for instance the needlessly complicated XML configuration files in
modern linux-ha's that *require* point and click tools to work on them.

Maybe I secretly long for the 2.0 kernel days and slackware and
afterstep / window maker  and and and.... heh.

"its all too complicated cause there are these config files!" ... but
those config files were straight forward SIMPLE text files! tools did
one thing and they did them well! rawrrrrrrrrrrr

-------

As an aside, I happened to try to get OpenCV (computer vision) stuff to
install on a Vista machine with an older version of video studio (2005 i
think).  After a few attempts to build it and it's 120958120958102958
deps from source, I gave up and tried to do a binary install.  After 3
of those attempts I simply gave up.

Why mention this windows specific problem ?  Because dependency hell
used to be a unix only thing :P.  Much like I've just hit (with the NTP
recompile for security concerns) with linux -- even source tar balls can
have deps that make building on older systems impossible out of the box
(i had to remove some stuff in the Makefile's that were bad params to
programs).

I'm always nervous about having to build a new package for some reason
(security related usually) - because who knows what stupidly simple
thing some asinine college grad broke thinking their new way would be
cool or trendy.  Bastards! All of them!  RAWRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

-unfy