[olug] 2015 is almost here. What are your plans?

unfy olug at unfy.org
Fri Dec 26 15:01:22 CST 2014

Replies interspersed.

On 12/12/2014 6:51 AM, Jon Larsen wrote:
> Also, what topics are you interested in hearing about?

I wouldn't mind actually making it out to one of the meetings AT ALL.
I've been signed up for OLUG for how many years and haven't attended
anything yet!

> Do you like the basics or more advanced topics?

In a presentation format, I dunno.  20-60min would be difficult to truly
dig into something meaty.  I'd say more advancedish stuff possibly....
with a mention in next answer too.

> Do you want to mix it up and have a meeting that is a mini-install fest?

Having not been to a meeting, I dunno how things work out - but having a
block for noobs (part of the whole installfest idea) and the more
advanced doesn't seem too bad.  But - how many times will pros listen to
the "yes, linux offers desktop interfaces too" speech before giving up ?

> Would you like a show and tell segment during the meeting?

This is actually a great idea - and brings about possible fodder for
future presentations.

For example - when I get the desktop CNC machine built (powered by
linuxcnc) - it might make a decent show and tell piece.

Or a "here is a 386 running the latest gentoo" ... etc.  Things that
don't really need a whole presentation, but would be a cool thing to
show off.

> Do you prefer more hands-on approaches to presentations, with live hardware?

Due to time constraints and possibly size of the meetings, I'd lean
towards presentation.  Although if it's only a dozen folks....

> What is the value you get from OLUG?

Smart friendly folks that are helpful when asked short questions :) ...
or put up with some my ramblings heh.

-Will