[olug] Linux CNC 2.6.4

unfy olug at unfy.org
Tue Dec 2 17:14:35 CST 2014

Breakout board arrived yesterday.

LinuxCNC 2.6.4 bootable dvd popped into a random machine with LPT port
here at work.  Configure interface (this pin does what, and what's the
timing)... and BAM! it works.

Well, at least - a single motor connected to a driver and then the
breakout board works :D.

Looks like LinuxCNC is more or less an 'engine'.  You need certain cad /
etc software to generate the gcode you feed into it.  You *can* write it
from scratch (dust off them childhood LOGO turtle moves)... but... that
seems tedious imho.  There's plenty of 2D "Cam" software / tools out
there, and a few OSS etc tools.