[olug] OT: Looking for server hardware

Greg Gerke ggerke at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 09:12:30 CDT 2014

Although if they're high school students that'd likely mean living at
home... thus no worries about power and cooling 'cause that's magically
free ;)

There's some things that you'll only get with server class hardware (fiber,
SAN, etc) but you'll be better off getting CentOS and doing some KVM type
work as virtualization is really the big thing these days. Getting good
with LVM (not just that specifically but the theory of how such storage
mgmt works) would also be a good move.

But the main thing is have fun with it and don't be afraid to destroy a few
dozen OS installs along the way.