[olug] OT: Learning Colemak

unfy olug at unfy.org
Wed Apr 30 07:40:56 UTC 2014

On 4/29/2014 8:48 AM, Leonardo wrote:
> Colemak typist here! I've been typing in Colemak since 2008.

\o/

Awesome!  Never would have expected to find another person locally.

The Colemak folks have produced quite a few interesting transitional
layouts over the years to help Qwerty folks adjust if they're not going
whole hog + cold turkey.

I'm treating Colemak like learning a new instrument or something
(lessons here or there totally a couple hours a day while reverting to
Qwerty for daily life).... and so far it's working out okay for me. No,
I'm not using any of the transitional layouts.

Jeff said:
> too many years touch typing for me to want to switch.

I'm 25 years into touch typing ? And 30 years into typing overall ? I'll
admit, that after 1 day things are a bit rough... but the approach I'm
taking is working for me so far.  The shear amount of typing I do is
also part of WHY I wanted to switch to something that's supposedly
better for you.

> I'm a big fan of
> natural keyboard pro

*HISS*

Oh God do I absolutely LOATHE them fucking things.  HATE.  Instant RAGE.
I dunno if I can begin to express my pure DISDAIN for them things.  I've
purposefully destroyed / tortured (yes, tortured an inanimate object) a
few of them and the rage continued to flow.

Now, I'll admit - the 'natural' keyboards do tend to be love or hate.
I'm so far on the hate side that I've jumped off the edge of the bar
cursing the entire way down into the abyss :D

-Will