[olug] OT: Learning Colemak

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Tue Apr 29 14:26:47 UTC 2014

too many years touch typing for me to want to switch.  I'm a big fan of
natural keyboard pro (if you can still find them) and the more available
natural ergonomic 4000.  Both have the home/end key section in a horizontal
position.  (don't care for them in a vertical arrangement) Positioned high
in the front, low in the back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_keyboard

(knock on wood) Have been able to avoid carpal type problems.

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 5:38 AM, unfy <olug at unfy.org> wrote:

> Decided that I'll be turning 40 in a couple years and that I'd like to be
> gentle on my hands as I continue to code / type etc.
>
> As part of those goals, decided to pick up the Colemak keyboard layout.
>  ZXCV being in the same spot as Qwerty is a big selling point for the
> common computer shortcuts that they are.
>
> Typing test starting out with: 99 WPM Qwerty, 6 WPM Colemak (having never
> typed Colemak before).
>
> So far it's been interesting.  I'm learning Colemak 'on the side' (do some
> typing lessons, then go back to Qwerty to work... etc... trying to get
> about 10-15min of Colemak typing in an hour while here at work).
>
> ---------------------------------
>
> As far as those wondering about my linux reviews I have kind of corned
> myself into doing - waiting on being able to get an acceptable video card
> into the nForce 630i system before doing the opinion pieces.  Dealing with
> broken HDMI video out (not talking about audio either) is not something I
> wanna deal with while fiddling with review stuffs.  Prolly should also draw
> up a plan / list of "points" to test to make it kind of standardized
> testing.
>
> -Will

Best,

Jeff Hinrichs