[olug] Disappointment and a question ...

unfy olug at unfy.org
Thu Apr 10 03:35:55 UTC 2014

> My experience is exactly the opposite, at least lately (past 1.5~yrs).

Ford, Chevy, Dodge.

Go.

:P

> Some quick googling around it seems quite a few people have been able to
> get the 630i to function with ubuntu which i'm sure you also saw, but they
> didn't provide a lot of insight to what the issues were which always leads
> me to believe that PEBKAC is the problem, and it usually is for me.

The weird ubuntu install thing - well... I'm weirded out.  If zero'ing
the drive doesn't fix it... then... I have no idea what to say (other
than attempting a different drive with same cables and in same port
etc).  I believe I've tried ide, ahci, and linux ahci options for sata
mode under bios to no avail.

As far as 630i and hdmi audio - I don't recall exactly what I had to fix
in the asla modules in order to get it to work early on.  I believe the
changes got implemented into later versions anyway.  Why I can't get
windows xp to work now is a bit beyond me, though. Being unable to make
something work that once did work.. is... ugh.

The root of the problem appears to be relating to the gpu / tv not
talking correctly.  If I plug my hdmi cable into 'a different port' on
the TV, it insists that use port 1 + analog audio 3 for DVI connections
(says this on a blank screen).  Plugged into port1, i get video but no
audio.

On the windows side of things -> different drivers behave a bit
differently.  Some drivers will list the audio device as present but not
connected.  Others will say it doesn't exist (not offer it as an option
in any dialog box anywhere).  Lastly, some will say it's there and
working - but no audio.  The nvidia control panel will differ from
driver to driver on if it thinks the cable is a dvi cable or an hdmi
cable as well.

Digging through my email archive, it appears I got my 'mythbuntu box up'
via something like bios settings.  There's a few audio related bios
settings ... onboard audio on/off, hdmi auto / disabled.  With onboard
disabled, hdmi is gone as well in the OS's etc.

Under salix and live ubuntu -- I fiddled just a little bit.  Tried
getting aplay -d hw:0,3 to spit out something, anything... to no avail.
Fiddled with alsamixer, etc all as well.  No luck.  Tried several other
things with no luck.

I am grabbing Slackware 14.1 and Fedora 20/KDE now.  I prefer slackware
cause it does far less to muddle the original sources compared to other
distro's, etc.  Should make kernel & alsa compiles easier.  Since I've
juggled a stupid amount of windows xp / 7 drivers, I think it's time to
just hammer on it from a linux environment.

-Will