[olug] Disappointment and a question ...

unfy olug at unfy.org
Tue Apr 8 22:05:35 UTC 2014

On 4/7/2014 10:57 PM, Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T wrote:
> as for xfce -- if you already have ubuntu installed, it just
>   apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
> then logout, pick xfce and log in
>
> To get it straight out you can just xubuntu

Getting XFCE was just a matter of more-than-ratpoison window manager
without breaking the 700mb limit for burning to a CD with that
particular distro.  Wasn't really an aesthetics choice.  Granted, I was
okay with old XFCE looking kinda like OS/2 warp years ago :).

> two quick questions, are you installing from a cd/dvd or thumbdrive?   I've
> had issues with a good iso download and a bad burn doing weird things
> during install.  I pretty much use thumbdrives now.  Also, my remark about
> giving the live images a go before install is often handy in detecting if
> the hardware is supported.   And the other question, is the hardware PAE or
> non-PAE
> http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/how-to-install-ubuntu-1204-on-non-pae.html
>
> Best,
> Jeff

Burned discs.  Two of them (one for each version).  I can go about
attempting a thumb drive install if I really feel like it.  Given that
other discs have been fine, I'd be surprised if had two failed discs in
same pattern / style.  Also note, I do 'verify' each disc I burn (that
whole 4-8min is nothing... just go get a cup of coffee or something).

Intel E2200 processor, supports PAE.  Was a cheap low wattage processor
back when it was running as a HTPC hehe.

Also, for how far I got into the installation on both install discs
(13.10 or 12.04.4 LTS) see:

http://www.unfy.org/Ramblings/Ubuntu-failing-to-install?action=imgpopup&image=ubuntu-install-fail.jpg

I am... unsure how much more effort I'm going to put into this system
before getting rid of the motherboard.  Technically, I can migrate a
video card over with HDMI audio and it should theoretically work juts
fine.  Or, $200 gets motherboard, cpu, ram as an upgrade.  Either a low
end celery/pentium intel haswell based - or a quad core amd based.
Granted, I think $250 gets an i5 sandy bridge dell or hp based system
off of ebay.

-Will