[olug] Disappointment and a question ...

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Tue Apr 8 04:57:08 UTC 2014

as for xfce -- if you already have ubuntu installed, it just
 apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
then logout, pick xfce and log in

To get it straight out you can just xubuntu

two quick questions, are you installing from a cd/dvd or thumbdrive?   I've
had issues with a good iso download and a bad burn doing weird things
during install.  I pretty much use thumbdrives now.  Also, my remark about
giving the live images a go before install is often handy in detecting if
the hardware is supported.   And the other question, is the hardware PAE or
non-PAE
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/how-to-install-ubuntu-1204-on-non-pae.html

Best,
Jeff

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 8:11 PM, unfy <olug at unfy.org> wrote:

> On 4/6/2014 11:07 PM, Jay Bendon wrote:
>
>> honestly if going for obscure or cutting edge hardware setups you really
>> need to stick to ubuntu or fedora with the biggest userbase and fastest
>> release cycle in order to have good support.
>>

> An nForce 630i is NOT obscure.
>
> The system my coworker was working on was from Gateway IIRC.  Also not
> obscure.
>

>  and maybe try a HTPC distro. which is usually backed by mint or ubuntu.
>>

> Downloaded mythbuntu again.  We'll see.
>

>  Dump unity and install cinnamon or kde or xfce, whatever.  its linux you
>> have the freedom.
>>

> And this is assuming that someone knows enough to go about doing so.
>  While I, having 19 years of linux/unix experience are capable of doing
> such a thing without too much effort... the average joe ?
>
> -----------------------------------
>
> So last night I attempted to install ubuntu on the nforce 630i.  I get to
> the partition editor and it locks up.  Waited 30min, nothing.  This was
> under BOTH 13.10 and 12.04.4 LTS.  (shakes head).  Dropped to console,
> fdisk could see and partition /dev/sda, but that didn't help.  Went through
> about 6-8 reboots trying to get ubuntu to install to no luck.
>
> Grabbed Salix 14.0 or 14.1 XFCE.  It's a slackware based distro. Installed
> just fine.  HDMI audio ? Still not working but whatever. Salix has some
> issues such as not including the original kernel source and not supporting
> the nvidia closed source drivers out of the box (thus requiring black magic
> to install such things).  It's browser (midori) seems kinda flakey about
> not loading pages all the way or something.  Doubt I'll give salix a review
> but... am just trying to get hdmi audio to cooperate heh.
>
> I can prolly try fedora or something.
>

> -Will

Best,

Jeff Hinrichs