[olug] OT: Ting

Jon Larsen jon at jonlarsen.us
Sat Apr 5 19:34:44 UTC 2014

I was having lunch at John's Grecian Delight in southroads on Thursday
and I had a 3G signal on my personal cell on Ting/Sprint, but my Verizon
work phone had no connection.

On 04/05/2014 09:22 AM, Dan Linder wrote:
> <old man time>
> When I worked at the IPRevolution.net (Now CoSentry?) datacenter in
> SouthRoads Mall quite a few of us had Sprint pre-dating our location there.
>  In the 3+ years there, Sprint was the only carrier that was able to get a
> signal through the thick walls and ceiling/floor in that area.  We always
> joked that it was a security feature, but I think it had more to do with
> the cell tower located in the back of the parking lot - probably just
> through sheer force of power the signal made it through.  (Though I'm
> pretty certain my battery was draining more quickly having to send it's
> signal back through the concrete...)
> </old man time>
>
> To Kevins point, at that time it was only 3G coverage so if the newer
> phones have optimized their radios for 4G and/or dropped the 3G completely
> that may account for the loss of signal.
>
> Dan
>

> On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 9:01 AM, Kevin <sharpestmarble at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 7:48 PM, unfy <olug at unfy.org> wrote:
>>
>>> although I do think Bob's Fitness (old Southroads mall) was a dead spot
>>> (unconfirmed).
>>>

>> Can refute. I have not problems with coverage when I'm in that area; I work
>> in that same building. I think I get only 3G coverage there, but I don't
>> have a problem with the speed of the mobile data I get there. Voice quality
>> there is also quite sufficient for all calls I make there.

Jon H. Larsen  - jon -at- jonlarsen -dot- us
Blog - http://jonlarsen.us/
VP of Community Development, Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org/
AnimeSunday.org - http://www.animesunday.org/