[olug] Upgrading to Ubuntu 13.10?

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Tue Nov 19 20:58:34 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:
> My primary desktop box is currently running Ubuntu 12.10.  I missed the
> 13.04 update because I was too busy this summer to worry about it.  Now that
> 13.10 has been out for a little while, I'm thinking it's finally time to
> upgrade.

As a general rule, I've had few major issues upgrading from one
release to the next.  However, I've had few positive experiences when
skipping a release.  My recommendation would be to upgrade it to
13.04, test everything, run a backup, and then go to 13.10.  Sometimes
there are special migration bits that are done from one release to
another that can get lost or missed if you skip a release.

> Are any of you running 13.10?  Are there any gotchas I should watch out for?
> Any unusual problems with the upgrade process?  Any major apps you really
> wish you could downgrade because of what the 13.10 version does to them?  Is
> there any reason I should upgrade only to 13.04 instead of 13.10?

I've got an old box that has been upgraded half a dozen times,
including most recently from 13.04 to 13.10.  I haven't had a major
issue with it yet.  There's a lot of variability with any upgrade,
though, and it's possible that something will break.  My box is an
older machine that I mostly use for web browsing and terminal windows,
so it's pretty basic.

--
Christopher