[olug] Upgrading to Ubuntu 13.10?

Jordan Fox vmifox at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 19:50:45 UTC 2013

upgrading from 13.04 to 13.10 the day after release, I received so many
errors that the upgrader quit halfway through saying it encountered too
many errors.  I figured the box was hosed, and was proved right when it
failed to boot after that.  I was running a relatively stock Xubuntu 13.04
and hadn't had many problems with dist-upgrading in the past.  I'd been
dabbling off and on with Fedora since v17 and was planning on switching
anyway... I haven't had any major problems since the switch except getting
used to the yum commands over the apt commands ;)

In your case, rather than upgrading from 12.10 -> 13.04 -> 13.10, I'd
backup your data and do a fresh install.

As a note, for reasons like this, I strongly recommend everyone has their
/home directory on a separate partition (I actually had mine on a separate
hdd).  With it on a separate partition (or hdd), you don't have to worry
too much about loosing data if the OS craps out.

Jordan

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and
petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace
of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and
minds in Christ Jesus."  Phil 4:6-7

"The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance
between your knees and the floor."  Anonymous