[olug] advice picking distro for Mac users

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Wed Nov 13 18:02:59 UTC 2013

On 11/13/2013 11:37 AM, Tim Larson wrote:
> I'm setting up a 2nd computer in the house now that the kids are
> getting old enough to be using a computer more. I've been out of the
> desktop scene for awhile, but I still want to go Linux to save myself
> the admin headache of dealing with Windows. There's only one
> Win-specific app they'd need, and I've already confirmed that will run
> fine in an XP VM. (BTW, if you've got an old copy to sell, contact me
> off-list.)
>
> Seems *buntu is still the pick for the casual Linux desktop user to
> get up and going easily, and fairly hassle-free to keep updated.
> Everyone is familiar with Mac OS to some extent, so a version that
> feels somewhat similar to that would be great. Some reviews say Unity
> is a good fit for Mac users. Some reviews say the Xfce desktop is
> Mac-like. Maybe there are others. I'm soliciting more opinions and
> comments to help me make my decision. Apart from an annual upgrade I
> won't be using the computer at all unless there are problems, so a
> major goal is to set it up such that the non-tech-savvy will not
> create nor encounter many problems.

I think Unity is probably a fairly intuitive interface as long as the
user doesn't have lots of muscle memory for older gnome versions (like I
have).  I despise Unity, personally, because it's too different.  For a
newbie, it's probably a good fit.  I run Xfce on my Fedora laptop, and
while it's definitely more similar to old gnome, it's very simplistic
and perhaps not as intuitive to a newcomer.

--
*Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth* obiwan at jedi.com <mailto:obiwan at jedi.com>
www.Jedi.com <http://www.jedi.com>