[olug] OT: local Evernote

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Tue May 28 16:02:17 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Craig Wolf <wolfout101 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a paranoid friend who likes the features of Evernote BUT not that it
> keeps the data in the cloud.  He is looking for something with the features
> of Evernote but it keeps the files local and he has to back them up to a
> 2nd machine/external drive.  Would like it to be mobile capable
> (tablet/smartphone) and then copy to a desktop for backup.
> Functions: typed notes, audio notes, location and date/time stamped

Considering the security incident with Evernote a few months ago (I
don't remember details, but I know they required a password reset),
his paranoia might be justified. ;-)

The closest non-cloud comparable software that I know of would
probably be Microsoft OneNote.

As far as Microsoft products go, OneNote is one of their better ones.
It still has its quirks, and there are times when I want to tear it
out and never use it again, but it can be a useful piece of software.
We use it a some at work for documentation and notes.  There is a
mobile app, too (android, a least).  I installed it at one point, but
I've never really used it, so I can't comment on its functionality.  I
did hear they put out a fairly significant update a little while back
that supposedly improved on some deficiencies (a co-worker uses it
regularly).

Downside, is that it is Windows-only on the desktop-side, as far as I
know.  And it's a Microsoft product, and not free, or even
particularly inexpensive.  Most versions of Office don't include it by
default.  I don't know how or if the mobile version syncs or works
with the desktop version; obviously, working on the same files on
mobile as desktop will require some coordination.

--
Christopher