[olug] Centos

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed May 22 15:46:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Lou Duchez <lou at paprikash.com> wrote:
> My doofy take on CentOS: it's like Fedora except that packages don't get
> updated in a timely fashion, so you're lucky if your MySQL package is no
> more than a year old. Fedora tends to be much quicker on the updated
> packages.

One important thing to consider is the different in focus here.
Fedora is a (fairly) rapid-update distribution used by Red Hat as a
testing and proving ground for possible future use in Red Hat
Enterprise Linux (RHEL).  The community around it pushes a more
desktop-oriented focus towards it, and factors like consistency,
stability, and robustness take second seat to new features, latest
software releases

CentOS is a repackaging of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.  It is heavily
targeted towards business and server use.  Major releases are much
less frequent, and minor releases are heavily tested to ensure minimal
change and minimal chance of breakage.  Server administrators,
particularly in large environments, value stability, consistency, and
reliability above almost everything else.  Distributions like RHEL and
Debian are intended to be behind the bleeding edge, after being more
thoroughly tested and hopefully with fewer bugs.

--
Christopher