[olug] Centos

James Ringler JRingler at plainseg.com
Wed May 22 15:10:52 UTC 2013

I've used RHEL and CentOS for a long time and both in production on things like web servers, zenoss monitoring systems, asterisk phones, mysql db's and it's always been solid...

I'm trying to remember when, but somewhere around a year or two ago, I almost switched to Scientific Linux (another free spin of RHEL) because CentOS was so far behind in something..  I can't remember if it was distribution releases or kernels..    Something I had going on required an upgrade but CentOS was severely lacking behind and appeared to be on the verge of organizational meltdown.  I remember seeing message board posts about people questioning whether CentOS would survive or not.   They pulled through and have been ok since.

I wouldn't hesitate using CentOS in production.  You have OpenLogic already as a vendor and they do CentOS paid support, just in case.

James-