[olug] Gigabit Internet

Aric aric at omahax.com
Wed May 8 20:40:51 UTC 2013

Justin Reiners:

Yeah, I'll gladly pay $150 a month for gigabit.

Both my Cox home and my work Cox Business (about a mile away) connection
when down Monday night / Tuesday morning at midnight.

My Cox home internet has gone down 4 times in the last 30 days.  They seem
to be planned outages because they have been at midnight and for about 5
min. (according to the quality RRD graph in pfSense).  I with they would
send me an email warning me of the maintenance.

I am likely upgrading my wireless access point from an Asus RT-N12 to an
Asus RT-AC66U soon.  I am thinking I could use the wireless bridge feature
of the RT-N12 to connect my 20-30Mb Verizon Wireless 4G LTE hotspot to an
additional WAN adapter on my pfSense box for fail over.

"The internet is like a drug, I would pay almost anything for it"
Yes, and I really hate paying $10 a gig when I go over 4 gig a month on
Verizon Wireless phone.....  But I'll still pay it like a crack head. The
internet is a powerful drug.

Roger Sheldon:

"Fiber is the way to go but I think the way cox manages the fiber to
residential is .... less than
desirable."

Cox does fiber to residential?

"It's still a shared network I believe so you prob won't see all the
bandwidth allocated."

When I had TCONL cable the sharedness? of the connection was terrible.  I
would have 600ms+ ping times to just about anywhere from 6pm until 9pm.

>From my experience for at least the last 5 years I have been getting at
least the advertized bandwidth at my tier.  If when I had a 50Mbit x 5Mbit
connection and it was working, I could always ftp from a data center at
50mbit and upload at 5Mbit.  I also almost always had/have low latency.