[olug] WTB AMD Phenom II X4 980

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Sat May 4 21:35:10 UTC 2013

My current desktop computer (c.2008) could really use a speed upgrade.
I priced new cpu/mobo/ram combos, but didn't want to spend the time
or the $600 to get something really nice.

My current mobo is an AM2+ socket, so I'm thinking maybe I should just
upgrade the CPU alone to the fastest one that will fit.  AM2+ CPU's
have been discontinued, so I can't buy new.

Do any of you have a high-end AM2+ CPU that you want to get rid of?

It looks like the AMD Phenom II X4 980 was the fastest one made.  The
975 and 970 are right on its heals.  According to cpubenchmark.net,
those CPU's would be about 3.5 times faster than my current Athlon II
X2 5000+.

--
Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth    obiwan at jedi.com    PrairieRimImages.com