[olug] Linux on internal drive

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed Mar 13 05:21:56 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Dan Staehr <staehrmedia at neb.rr.com> wrote:
> I'm wanting to set up a testing server on one of the drives on my Windows 7
> computer would like Linux with Apache, MySQL, PHP. Plan is to use it
> developing WordPress sites that will end up on Linux. Any suggestions? Would
> Ubuntu Server work?

Ubuntu Server will work just fine for you.  Other good choices would
be CentOS and Debian (there are plenty of others that would work, but
these three are what I would recommend).  One other suggestion: figure
out what your production environment will be, and match that with your
dev environment.  At the very least, make sure your "base" matches
(most Linux distributions are either Debian based or Red Hat based).
Yes, you can deploy on Ubuntu (Debian based) after developing on
CentOS (Red Hat based), but you'll run into more work and minor
issues.

Unless this is a second (or third, or whatever) computer, I'd
recommend using virtualization for your Linux installation.  There are
lots of options available, but VirtualBox is my personal favorite for
this type of a setup.  It's fairly easy to setup and manage, and it
works great for use on in a desktop type environment.

--
Christopher