[olug] PGP (GPG) key signing

Tony Gies tony.gies at gruppe86.net
Wed Jun 12 18:29:30 UTC 2013

Hey all,

In light of recent events, privacy is on a lot of people's minds, and I'm
starting to see a lot more email in my inbox that is encrypted with GPG or
something similar. This has led me to realize that my current key has no
signatures on it, and thus doesn't serve as a very good proof of identity.

Are there any PGP/GPG users in the group who would be interested in
exchanging signatures at a future meetup? It's pretty easy to do, Debian
has an outline of the procedures involved:
http://www.debian.org/events/keysigning. Having a personal key that is
highly integrated into the web of trust (i.e. has many signatures) is good
practice even if you don't value or use the privacy/trust aspects; among
other things, it is prerequisite to participating in development/package
maintenance on a few major Linux distros.

tgies

PS: I know I'm probably not a familiar name except to a few of you who I've
worked with, but I actually used to post to the mailing list occasionally
and attended a few of the Bellevue meetups 3-4 years ago. I just haven't
been active in a long time.