[olug] No-nonsense syslog server setup

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Thu Jul 25 23:44:07 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Justin Reiners <justin at hotlinesinc.com>
wrote:
> Anyone know of a nice free easy to install syslog server that's not a pita
> to setup? Looking for a nice central logging solution to implement in old
> hardware here. Tried some howtos but had issues making them work.

My "go to" answer would be Syslog-NG, but before I recommend that, can you
tell us a little more about what you're dealing with?

   - What platform do you want it to run on?  Linux?  Windows?

   - What type and how many devices are you going to be receiving logs from?
   - Any idea on your log volume?
   - Are you just looking to archive the logs?  As text (compressed)?  Any
   processing/reporting?
   - Do you have any idea what kind of retention you're planning?  A day?
    A week?  A month?  A year?

With a little more information, I'd be happy to offer some suggestions or
config examples for setting up a syslog server.

--
Christopher