[olug] NAS

Aric aric at omahax.com
Mon Jul 1 20:25:55 UTC 2013

I use FreeNAS w/ Dell 2950 and WD RE4 HDDs for my cheap NAS.  I like it.

I have a dual Sossaman Xeon 2U that is awesome for my pfSense box.  If you
are into low power, Sossaman Xeons are nice.  ....they are 31 watt dual
core 32 bit CPUs.  I got the whole system for $60.

Maybe get something like this and put FreeNAS on it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suerpermicro-H8SMI-2-Quad-core-AMD-1381-2-5Ghz-8GB-4TB-Storage-Server-9690SA-4I-/271217436226?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item3f25d1a642

Get some eBay raid card etc and you should be good.  I like the 3ware
9690SA or 9650SE but they are only SATA 2 so you might be able to get them
of eBay for cheap.  SATA 2 should be fast enough for any current spinning
drive array.