[olug] upgrade from Fedora 17 to Fedora 18

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Wed Jan 23 16:37:16 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 10:28 AM, Jon Larsen wrote:
> Since preupgrade has gone away, I used it's replacement, the oddly named
> 'fedup'.  I upgraded my laptop and my workstation with it.  It worked
> alright.  If you haven't read the release notes, you probably wouldn't
> know about it.  The Fedora 18 DVD download cannot upgrade previous
> releases.  I don't know if that will be the norm going forward, or a
> result of the development window in re-writing the installer, which was
> one of the factors for the delay of F18.  There may be more info in blog
> posts or videos resulting from this past weekend's FUDcon in Lawrence,
> Kansas.

It's the norm now, for some background,
http://ohjeezlinux.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/fedup-a-little-background/

I watched him give a presentation on it @ FUDCon (unfortunately, this
one didn't get recorded), and it does work pretty slick now.  All that
is missing is a bit of GUI polish.

Fwiw, here's links to some other session recordings,
http://fedora.the-server-admin.com/?p=142

-- rex