[olug] Samba, Windows clients, and pulling my hair out

Bill Brush bbrush at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 05:47:43 UTC 2013

I may be mis-remembering, but I think Netbios names have to go in the
LMHosts file, not the Host file.  If that is true, that would explain why
Windows isn't finding it.

I think the method of using the full DNS name is probably the better way to
go regardless.  NETBIOS is a relic and should be consigned to the dustbin
of networking technologies like Token Ring, and ArcNet.

Bill