[olug] DIY NAS/HTPC

Sheldon, Roger W Roger.Sheldon at firstdata.com
Tue Jan 8 22:23:47 UTC 2013

I'm building a NAS for friend... honest lol. I haven't built a SOHO NAS/HTPC before but I have built tons of PC's.  Leaning pretty heavily towards freenas but haven't tried other ones like openfiler or openmediavault. He just may forgo the freenas and use Plex, Twonky or Serviio on top of Windoze.

Some factors considered dunno if I missed some.

-          Heat

-          Energy

-          # disks (sata III no SAS) minimum 5 disks

-          Noise

-          Option to add video card to add HTPC functionality

-          NAS software (no WHS)

-          Hardware (no atom cpu)

-          Ports

-          Media streaming option

Case:  PC-Q18, PC-Q25 or SilverStone Grandia GD08

Any recommends?

Here is one I found on Amazon with 5 drive bay. Thing is this would work but looks like it belongs on I.T desk not in the living room.
$518
http://www.amazon.com/Five-tray-less-drive-hardware-enclosure/dp/B002QYECOI/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331180696&sr=1-7&tag=vglnk-c1001-20

Roger Sheldon
Storage Engineer
wk 402.777.7901
cell 402.889.2585

The information in this message may be proprietary and/or confidential, and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify First Data immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer.