[olug] Anyone use IBM Lotus Symphony?

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 15:21:02 UTC 2013

I haven't looked at it in a long time, but the original Open Office 1
release was a more much liberal license. So IBM forked that into a closed
source project. Sadly, their closed source project ended up with a much
nicer UI, but all the improvements that have occurred in the GPL version of
Open Office/Libre Office over the years couldn't simply be moved over the
closed source Lotus Symphony.

They became two very different code-bases over the years. Now IBM is
donating Lotus Symphony into the Apache Foundation, where it can merge back
into Open Office.

But sadly, that project is also now different from Libre Office.

I'd love to see some of the Lotus Symphony UI elements make their way into
Libre Office, but time will tell.