[olug] Looking for old hardware for once

Tom Williamson twilliam at inebraska.com
Sat Aug 24 16:54:58 UTC 2013

I find good used computers at the UNMC Warehouse on 41st Street between
Leavenworth and Emile (it is the red building with the truck docks). The
guy that handles these in in the back of the warehouse most mornings
until noon. Because of a misguided policy on HIPPA, the drives are
removed and destroyed, but most of the computers are not too old and
have worked fine for me. Most will sell in the $50 to $130 range. Some
do use ECC Memory.The last time I looked the majority were first and
second generation 64-bit processors. There had been some brick type for
mounting on monitors, those seemed to have a few 32-bit processors as
well as 64-bit. Laptops started to show up, but those had a lot of wear
and tear, binged up cases and screens with bad pixels. Many of these are
Dell computers, but the laptops can be anything.

I hope this helps with options for you. I also hope things are doing
well for your baby.

Tom