No subject

Mon Aug 12 20:06:32 UTC 2013

> /dev/sdd1 on /media/WD_60GB type vfat (rw)

Thus, to access the files you just open up Konqueror and type in /media/
and you should see a "WD_60GB" icon.  Correct?

> DVD drive give me....
>
> mount: only root can mount /dev/hdc on /media/cdrom0
> Please check that the disk is entered correctly.

Check to see what the permissions are on the "/dev/hdc" device entry.
Mine are as follows (ls -al /dev | egrep hdc):
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           3 2006-09-07 16:10 cdrom -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           3 2006-09-07 16:10 cdrw -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           3 2006-09-07 16:10 dvd -> hdc
brw-rw----  1 root cdrom    22,   0 2006-09-07 16:09 hdc

I added my user id to the "cdrom" group by opening the System Settings
application and using the "Users & Groups" module.  If that fails, use
"sudo vigr" and find the line that begins with "cdrom" and add your user
to the the end. Here is mine before...
cdrom:x:24:haldaemon
and after...
cdrom:x:24:haldaemon,dan
(be sure to include a "comma".)

You will have to logout and log back in to have the system see your new
group permissions.

> CDRW drive gives me....

I think the errors are the same ones that the DVD is reporting.

Dan

- - - -
"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov
"Soon we will be able to harness the rotational energy from Orwell's grave
to solve all world energy problems." -- /. user GigsVT (208848)
GPG fingerprint:6FFD DB94 7B96 0FD8 EADF  2EE0 B2B0 CC47 4FDE 9B68