No subject

Mon Aug 12 20:06:32 UTC 2013

of copyright law, which the U.S. Constitution defines as the promotion
of "the Progress of Science and useful Arts" (I.1.8). Some
commentators have also suggested that some form of fair use defense is
required by the First Amendment's protection of free speech, because
without some amount of copying, some things simply cannot be said.
This analysis applies particularly well in the case of criticism. It
also reads on various other limitations on copyright's exclusive
rights, particularly the scenes a faire doctrine."  --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Not as tenuous as you might think.  Need I also remind you about the
DMCA and the chilling effects it brought?  You have to remember that
the DRM proposed is much more expansive than "just" a broadcast flag.=20
And the ability to force this on the public is to be put in to the
hands of the FCC, a non-elected government committee.  Rep. Terry is
in favor of giving the FCC the "ability" to mandate and enforce the
Broadcast Flag.

How much DRM is alright with you?  Or will you wait until you need a
license to "Rewind?"

I am tired of being considered a "criminal" by default.  I don't
support piracy and I also don't support restrictions that harm
ordinary users but have no effect what so ever on the criminals.  This
is just another shakedown -- you'll need to repurchase a license/media
to view your DVDs on your new HD TV.  Changing format is not supported
by DRM.  Notice how the analog hole legislation is in the mix now?

The law of unintended consequences always exacts an expensive payment
when dealing with anything that diminishes currently held rights.