[olug] Laptop Recommendations

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed Sep 19 16:03:56 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T
<jeffh at dundeemt.com> wrote:
> I am looking to replace my aging laptop and I'm looking for a programmer
> and *nix friendly system.  I5 or I3 + High resolution screen  (won't go for
> 1366x768 ick) and a good keyboard (not a fan of the chiclet kb's -- I touch
> type)   Anyone bought something similar recently that they would recommend?
>  T series thinkpads?  I don't have a problem filling it up with after
> market memory or SSDs most vendors charge way too much compared to after
> market prices.  I've looked at system76 but those chiclet keys and consumer
> displays are a no-go for me.

I'm a big fan of Dell, provided you go with the business line
(Latitude) laptops.  I've bought and used their consumer line laptops,
too; they aren't bad, but I don't think they match the quality of the
Latitudes.

Depending on what you're looking for Dell's Outlet can be a great
option, too.  They sell open-box and refurbished Dell computers,
sometimes at really nice discounts.  The best thing about it, however,
is the warranty.  Dell treats their Outlet stuff as "new" with regards
to warranty coverage and options.

--
Christopher