[olug] Free lunch event in La Vista on 2012-09-19: Workforce Revolution with author Peter Sheahan

Adam Haeder adam at adamhaeder.com
Thu Sep 6 20:14:44 UTC 2012

My company (AIM Institute) is hosting an event next week that I thought
would be interesting to you folks. This is not a Linux-specific event, so
you may ask why this is going out to the OLUG list, and my answer is that
this is specifically about workforce issues like how to attract and retain
top talent, so I believe this is relevant to a large part of the list. Plus
it's a free lunch :)

More information is available at http://www.aiminstitute.org/revolution/.
The author Peter Sheahan will present on how companies can attract and
retain great talent. The event is on Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 at
the Embassy Suites Omaha-La Vista Hotel & Conference Center at 12520
Westport Parkway, La Vista, NE.

Normal cost for this event is $85/seat for people from non-AIM Member
companies and $55/seat for people from AIM Member companies. However, I
talked the boss into letting me invite OLUG people for free (there has to
be some advantage from being a part of this group, right?). If you're
interested, please do the following to sign up:

   - Go to http://www.aiminstitute.org/revolution/
   - Click 'Register Now'
   - Enter your contact info and select 'Registration Type: AIM Member'
   from the drop down list
   - On the next page, enter more contact info
   - On the final page where it asks for payment info, enter this discount
   code: AIM-comp. Your price should drop to $0.
   - You'll get a confirmation email
   - Show up on the 19th, look for me and say 'hi'
   - .....
   - Profit!

Hope to see you all there.

PS. Obligatory Linux thing:
Many times over the years I've been tasked with extracting email addresses
from a blob of text. Sometimes this blob is xml, or html, or json, or
Klingon, or what have you. The way I do it is this:

$ cat blob_of_text.txt | egrep -io
"[A-Z0-9._%+-]+@[A-Z0-9.-]+\.([A-Z]{2}|com|org|net|edu|gov|mil|biz|info|mobi|name|aero|asia|jobs|museum)"
| tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]' | sort | uniq

This uses the -o option to grep to say 'only show me the parts of the lines
that match the following regular expression'. The regular expression is
from http://www.regular-expressions.info/email.html. Then I lowercase
everything, sort it and unique it. I know the regex isn't perfect (the URL
talks about that) but it's worked well for me for the last few years.

--
Adam Haeder
adam at adamhaeder.com

Check out my latest book: LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell from
O'Reilly: http://bit.ly/bvQQ0I