[olug] AMD or Intel for multi-core apps?

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Wed Oct 3 15:36:16 UTC 2012

> Your link is to a i7-3770s.  You should get a non S or T model i7-3770
> unless you are trying to do some sort of fanless build.  They use the same
> amount of power under normal use.  The S model is just "rev limited", to
> use a car analogy, so that is doesn't use more than 65 Watts.

So you're saying that the wattage numbers are not a constant whenever
powered on, but rather the peak maximum that could be consumed under
load?  Do most 125W CPU's suck very little power when they're idle?

This computer will sit idle most of the time--sometimes for days at a
time.  It runs only a few seldom-used services that I'm slowly trying
to off-load to other machines.  However, when I actually sit in front
of it, I need it to run as fast as possible.  I hate to waste power
unnecessarily.

--
Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth    obiwan at jedi.com    PrairieRimImages.com