[olug] Questions

Matthew G. Marsh olug4mgm at paktronix.com
Fri May 11 21:07:55 UTC 2012

Yes!  Or create your own boot system. But first read the first five
chapters of Unix Sysadmin so you understand SysV vs BSD init structures. I
personally prefer SysV and PakSecured is heavily SysV, kind of like RedHat
was before they went public.

Note that most people use BSD init structures as Debian started out as a
FreeBSD style OS running Linux kernels, and most distros mentioned on this
list are Debian clones. Note that even RH (and related such as Sci etal)
is no longer true SysV. But then Debian is not true BSD anymore either.
But I digress.

Seriously, if you want to understand how Unix works, 'rm -rf /etc' , turn
off the system, turn it back on and figure it out.

Enjoy!

On Fri, 4 May 2012, Kevin wrote:

> Take an old box, install the distro of your choice on it, then rm -rf /etc.
> On May 3, 2012 3:35 PM, "T. J. Brumfield" <enderandrew at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Digging through existing documentation and then playing with the software
>> in question is not only useful for learning, but also useful for
>> determining where the documentation falls short or is out of date. You can
>> contribute back while learning at the same time.
>>
>> Perhaps pick an area where people still have issues. Sound is sadly still a
>> bit of a mess in Linux. Reading through support forums and documentation
>> can give you an idea how to troubleshoot those problems, how to configure
>> ALSA/PulseAudio/etc, and how it all works.
>>
>> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Michael <mjclinux at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have installed gentoo before and I have done Linux From Scratch before.
>>> I guess I'm not really sure what I'm asking but I have a feeling that I
>> am
>>> missing a lot.
>>>
>>> Mike C.
>>>
>>>  On 05/03/2012 03:01 PM, T. J. Brumfield wrote

>> better

>> of

>> for

>> the